Monday, January 9, 2012

A Bit of Nostalgia

Sitting here today just thinking and listening to some old songs that I grew up on......oh the memories that flood my mind of the church services I have sat in, played music in and basked in the presence of God. Now don't get me wrong, I love the new stuff, the contemporary worship, but it is just something about these songs, like Vestal Goodman singing "I Hold a Clear Title" and "I Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now"...it just stirs your soul and gives you that confidence that all those that have gone before us on this journey have made it and we can too! Change is good, but sometimes we need to remember where we came from, knowing that change is necessary, but also knowing that these songs, these messages, shaped us to who we are today. Maybe we don't attend the mainline church anymore, but that does not mean that the people that go there are wrong in their worship or their faith!  We need to appreciate those guys that came before us and broke the ground for us to have religious freedom that we have today. It was in a pentecostal church that I heard the message of Jesus and Salvation....that heritage that was passed on to me, makes me the woman I am today. It is because of those messages that my faith is strong, that I am not shaken by what comes. That old church that people want to get so far away from is what paved the way for you to have your church today. We have to remember that we are all children of God, we are all on the same journey, we have the same struggles, the same kinds of victories.....we need each other, regardless of the denomination that someone attends.....they can still impact your life! Let's go forward this week and appreciate each other a little more, with a little more understanding that others are not wrong, just different. Be Blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment